Tree: The Full Family Tree Notes: In1780 the Rev. Robert Small of St. Mary's Church, Dundee, suggested the establishment of a Free Medical Dispensary in the burgh; and this idea was realised two years later. This plan proved so beneficial to the community that in 1793 Dr. Small proposed that an Infirmary for indoor patients should be founded; and he was so well supported by the local and county magnates that in 1798 the first Dundee Infirmary was erected at King Street. Only the central portion was built at the time, the wings being erected in 1825-27.
Having received several important bequests, the Directors in 1849-50 recommended the construction of a new Infirmary; a site was procured near Dudhope Castle; and in 1852 the erection of the new building was begun. It was completed and opened in February 1855 and the patients transferred from King Street. Address : Latitude: 56.4656556, Longitude: -2.9812639