Tree: The Full Family Tree Notes: Old Kilpatrick is a village in West Dunbartonshire in Scotland.
It is situated on the north bank of the River Clyde, three miles from Clydebank on the road to Dumbarton.
Its name means "the cell of Patrick", and there is a myth that it was the birthplace of Saint Patrick.
According to Sheppard Frere's "Britannia -- A History of Roman Britain", the western end of the Antonine Wall was at Old Kilpatrick. (The eastern end, 59 km distant was at Bridgeness on the Forth.) The physical traces of the wall had been erased but the route was surveyed during the 18th century and traced to the Chapel Hill where various Roman artefacts were found.
Old Kilpatrick was created a Burgh of barony in 1697. Its population tripled between 1755 and 1821 as the spinning and weaving industries developed. By 1831 the population was 5,800.
Today it is at the north end of the Erskine Bridge and has a small railway station on the North Clyde Line.
It has a public house called the Ettrick where bands may play monthly. There are two other pubs called the Telstar and the Glen Lusset nearby.
There used to be an annual fete but it died out in the 1990s.
The minerals edingtonite and thomsonite were first found at Old Kilpatrick. City/Town : Latitude: 55.924009, Longitude: -4.456686